To make the Gnome doors you'll need the following materials and tools:
1/4" birch plywood 2 7/8x4 1/4" (2)
3/4" pine 2 7/8"x4 1/4" (1)
Popsicle sticks (2)
Wood axle peg (1)
Here's a finished Gnome door:
1. Scribe lines on one of the pieces of plywood 1/4" apart with a knife, from top to bottom.
3. Place the scribed piece of plywood behind the cut out arched doorway. Trace the inside of the arched doorway on the scribed plywood and cut the door out.
4. Trace the outside of the arch onto the remaining piece of plywood, and cut.
5. Assemble the back piece of plywood, arched door frame, and glue up as one piece.
6. Mark, cut and fit door cross members from Popsicle sticks, and glue onto the door.
8. Glue door inside arched door way.
9. Use a nail or an awl to poke small indents where nails might be placed in the door cross members.
10. Apply wood gel stain, stain, or one of the stain and wax combos to the piece, and wipe off, leaving stain in the scribed lines of the door and the "nail holes". Paint the axle hub white.
A. Carve decorative door hinges from left over Popsicle, sticks paint and glue on door.
B. Use a twig as the door frame, and change the shape of the door.